Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Day 06- Savannah Bound

I had a dream last night that I was bombing down this huge hill going incredibly fast. I fell off the back of my bike while my shoes were still clipped into the pedals and my bike managed to magically stay upright and drag me down the highway. I jerked out of sleep and gasped. It was 6:36AM. I still had another half hour of much needed rest.

I rolled out of bed and trudged to the free breakfast offered to us by our hotel. In front of me, my options were an assortment of danishes, muffins, and other pastries, oatmeal, grits, and waffles. I made myself a bowl of oatmeal and sat down to contemplate the day ahead of me. Jamaal stayed in bed for a while longer, but then joined me for breakfast.

Afterwards, we returned to our rooms to pack up, and soon after, loaded the van to get back to the main highway. Jamaal and I, sitting in the back seat of the van, waited for the van to start, but it never happened. The van wouldn't start. The battery was dead and my family was thrown into a panicked fury. Luckily, we asked someone to jump the van and they were kind enough to oblige. Finally, we were able to get on the road and begin today's journey.

Riding was at a slightly slower pace today than the breakneck pace we kept up yesterday. We still made decent time though reaching Jesup by noon. We stopped to eat at a sub shop, and of course, Jamaal got philly cheesesteak. We napped until 1:30PM and was back on the road by 1:45PM. Nothing like waking up from a nap and hopping right on a bike.

As usual, the ride after lunch time became really difficult. By then, the rural roads have lost their charm, the legs begin to burn, and the heat beats down on us. It is then that mental toughness supersedes one's physical condition. Distractions to take your mind off of this feeling are few and far between, but Jamaal and I make do. Games, like seeing who can get the most truckers to blow their horn at you, help pass the time and take your mind off the soreness. Pace slowing, we arrived in Hinesville at 4PM.

It wasn't long after that we found our hotel, and checked in to our rooms. Of course, my mother, aunt, and grandmother always inspect the rooms to make sure that the "boys" don't have the better bathrooms, but to our dismay, our room only contained one king sized bed. My family joked about me and Jamaal sharing a bed, but the joke was on them. After speaking with someone at the front desk, they had no other double bed room so we were upgraded to a suite. If you ever get a chance to stay in a suite, even if you have to go to a hotel within your own city, do it. It's nice.

After dinner, there was one more surprise event in store for us. Driving to the hotel, there was an accident that happened right before our eyes. I thought for sure that we were going to get hit as well, but the car swerved and hit the curb in front of us. We waited for the police and ambulance to arrive and gave a statement. Luckily, no one was badly injured.

Tomorrow, we have a short day. Only 30 miles. We should be finished before noon. I am looking forward to going to Savannah. I have heard that it is quite beautiful there, and we will be near the coast! Well, folks. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. You have no idea how much these comments help us through this journey. It allows us to see who this is affecting and gives us support when we feel we are going through the worst.

Peace,
John and Jamaal.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you guys.
make sure to use plenty of sunscreen!
and no sprite.

Anonymous said...

What you guys are doing is really impressive. Stay safe and have fun. And a bit of advice, be wary of hotel rooms, you have no idea what's been going on in there, haha.

Anonymous said...

keep it up boys. can't wait til john gets home so he can sign my yearbook. waiting is so hard! gosh! but i love you guys and you should both keep up the good work.
love sara weber

Bahrtender said...

ok i know this is kinda childish but remember what dory said " just keep...well biking, just keep biking!" you guys are doing so well. love the fact that there are dedicated miles to people, that is amazing! well don't forget only if you boys have the energy, bike Savannah Square, SO BEAUTIFUL!!! and it's by the water, well river. There will def be a party!!! when do you get back?

LOVE YOU!!! KEEP IT UP!!!

Bri Bri

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! Great riging once again. I am so glad that you have a short day tomorrow. Rest and enjoy Savannah. YOur dad,grandmother and I believe Uncle Cary went there. Ask him the story when you have time to listen. Your dad loved it there. This was before Paula Dean was such a hit. Love you both. Keep on biking!

Love, Aunt Nancy

Anonymous said...

you guys are awesome. I'm praying for strength and peace for you guys in the name of Jesus, the Christ. Keep it up.

Paul said...

Hey there John and Master Jaamaal. You guys are doing an awesome job.
I hope that you have plenty of time to explore Savannah.It's a beautiful city. Stay focused on being present and what the moment has to offer you. You are overcoming the obstacles placed before you. Use them to strengten your resolve and remind you just how much you want to achieve your goals. Much peace and continued blessings on your journey.

Much admiration,much respect...Paul

Anonymous said...

John, Jaamaal, and support crew,

One week down now, one third done.
You guys give me faith that our future is good hands. Keep up your spirits, enjoy yourselves, be safe, and know this: YOU ARE EFFECTING MORE PEOPLE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. Thanks for making me a better person by knowing yall.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys
You're doing an amazing thing.
My family and I are praying for you.
Keep up the good work
-Caroline

Anonymous said...

My wife told me about what you guys are doing. I wish you the best of luck during this heat wave...mind over matter (except when it come to plenty of H20). Good luck and God Bless!