Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 17- Sunshine Skies with Raincloud Eyes.

Nothing felt real today. As if I witnessed everything from outside of my skin. I heard the news early this morning. Far before anyone is mentally prepared for anything, let alone the news that I received. I didn't believe it at first. I didn't want to believe it. My best friend's father passed away and I still can't believe it.

Mr. Patrick Clancy was one of the only father figures I have ever had. He was always well dressed and had some bit of wisdom to spread every time he saw me. His bow tie and suspenders made me feel like I could relate to him because of his quirky sense of style. When I spoke with him, he was one of the only adults that actually made me feel like he was listening. Just before I left for the ride, I talked with him in length about the tour. He asked questions of concern, and spoke to me as if I were his own son. I will miss him as I am sure many others will. I would like to dedicate tonight's blog post to Mr. Clancy and the entire Clancy family. I am incredibly sorry for your loss.

I find it odd how something as grievous as this can occur, but yet the sun can shine brighter than any other day. Maybe this is an attempt to console us. That when we are feeling our lowest, the sun shines bright to keep our spirits from falling any lower. We rode today from Tappahannock to Fredricksburg on more of the most beautiful roads we have been on the entire trip. In Fredricksburg, the traffic into D.C. began getting heavy so we hopped in the van to pick up Jamaal's mother from the Reagan National Airport. Afterwards, we headed to our hotel in Mount Vernon, Virginia where we met with Melanie Groft. She was in the city and stopped by to discuss the final days of the tour with us.

Tomorrow we will be staying just outside Baltimore, so I believe Jamaal and I are going to do some riding in downtown D.C. to see the sights. Tonight we got a taste as we drove through the downtown area, and I absolutely fell in love. There is so much to see and so much going on that just the sight of it all makes me happy to say that this is the capital of my country. Taken with the good and the bad, I am looking forward to being in D.C. tomorrow. Well, take care folks. I ask that you might pray for the Clancy family, if you would.

Love,
John and Jamaal.

May you be happy soon and forever, Mr. Clancy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

I am sorry to hear of the loss of Mr. Clancey. I will be saying a special pray for the family and for you, John tonight.

I hope you guys enjoy DC. I will let Grandma know you are there and loving her "North Country". I hope you get to see the awesome breathtaking monuments and buildings that are in DC. Be careful and take care. Love, Aunt Nancy

Bahrtender said...

Hey Boys,

I read this and teared up, I'm sorry for the loss. I will pray for the Clancey family and friends.

Well I'm glad to hear that the trip is going well. Glad I got to talk to you boys the other day! Made my day!! Please be careful, and kloveyoubye!! =]

KEEP IT UP!!!

Bri Bri