Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Day 13/14 - Little Washington, Ex-Capital Edenton, and Everything In Between.

Early morning we awoke and left a note, thanking the Ammons family for taking care of us and headed for Washington, North Carolina on Saturday. It began as a typical day of riding. This day, though, we encountered road construction, just before reaching Washington, that we haven't quite experienced before. Traffic was cut to one lane for both north and south-bound lanes. A dreadful sight for cyclists, but in our favor, there was a detour that we gladly took. This proved to be a bad move on our part, simply because we assumed a detour would take you back to the road that you were...detouring from, but apparently, this is not always the case. After getting lost and backtracking and getting lost again, we finally swallowed our man pride and asked for help. So this minor incident only set us back forty-five minutes, and we continued on to Washington on the less than comfortable roads.

Upon arriving in Washington, we had a run in with a drawbridge. You see, the portion of the bridge that raises up to allow boats through is actually a mesh weaving of metal that is a poor surface for bike tires to ride over.(DEATHTRAP) We had no choice though but to ride across since there was no shoulder on this bridge or any other way to cross. Jamaal likened this riding experience to drifting in a car. (I seriously doubt he knows first-hand. He probably just saw it on a video game or movie.) Nonetheless, we made it safely to our hotel.

Today, we had our first rain of the entire trip. Two weeks of sunshine before we had any rain at all. Before we began this journey, Jamaal and I considered riding in the rain, barring lightning and tremendous down pours, but after testing the conditions of the roads for ourselves first hand, we decided that the roads were too slick. It would be selfish and stupid to endanger ourselves just so we could ride in the rain. Sunday always serves as a good day to rest and recollect ourselves anyways, so we appreciated the first true break from riding we have had the entire trip.

For dinner, we ate at a buffet that reminded me of the scene from Vegas Vacation. You know that scene I am talking about. The scene with the blue stuff and the yellow stuff ? Let's just say I played it safe, and ate only what I could recognize.

Tomorrow we will be in Virginia, only a week from our final destination- Philadelphi ! Now that Jamaal and I have rested up we will be riding strong for the last stretch. I can't believe that the ride is almost completed. I won't know what to do with myself after this is over and done with. I'll feel like I should get up every morning and ride for 60 miles or so before I can do anything else. I definitely feel changed for the better by doing this. Well, sorry for the late update folks, but we will have more video coming soon. Take it easy.

Love,
John and Jamaal.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I am glad that you guys are doing well. Guess what? I went to my orientation at UF and I saw like 3 bike stores. And Gainesville is the "Most Biker Friendly City" in the south. If you pass through Virginia Beach, don't stop at the beaches- they aren't very nice. Good luck with everything. What you guys are doing is unbelievable. I am really proud and can't wait for you to get back.
Tangela

Anonymous said...

hey guys!
it's good to hear that things are going well! it's unbelievable that y'all are almost done! it really does feel like Pensacola was seeing you guys off yesterday! can't wait til yall get back.
i can't wait until i get to see the rediculous tanlines and hear the great stories!

i really am going to try to have the party for you! so far, there isn't anything interfering with it!

haydn said...

Hi John and Jammal, excellent example your cycle tour. Here in South Africa hepB is pretty uncommon so they think, as I have had it for over 10yrs now, often taking the doctors my internet research, WOW, Good luck with the rest, cycle safe and hope to chat via email one day, I need to start something similar here in South Africa, Haydn

Anonymous said...

Dear John and Jamaal,
I love reading your posts everyday in the office and won't know what to do when you are finally done. Maybe you both should continue to ride and write just to keep us inspired! Good luck on your last week and thank you for the exciting journey.

Anonymous said...

you guys really are amazing

Unknown said...

MY LIFE IS BACK, Am so happy to share this testimony on how Dr ADELEKE BELLO, was able to heal me from HIV Disease, well i was detected positive on 23th may 2016, and ever since i have been looking for a way to treat and cure this disease from me, but all ways i try there was no solution, few weeks ago i saw a testimony of some people on how Dr ADELEKE BELLO,,was able to cure them from HIV disease, still on i heard about it on media when a young lady also gave her testimony about this same Dr, well left with no hope i message Dr ADELEKE BELLO,, telling him all my problem, he told me what we where going to do, that he was going to send me a portion which i am going to take, and after which i took this herb portion he sent to me, he told me to go back to the hospital for check up and after i have done that i should come and tell him the good news result, at first when i saw the message i was so shock and still did not believed i will be cured, well friend to make my story short i am HIV negative now after many time of sorrow, i am Negative, and my sickness are gone, i thank God for leading me to this man….you can email him on (DR.ADELEKEAYODELE1960@GMAIL.COM) or you can also call him +2349035594773 he can be of help to you on any problem like {1} HIV/AIDS {2CANCER {3}HERPES {4}DIABETES (5}HERPERTITIS B (6}HPV (7}HEART PROBLEM {8}WOMB PROBLEM PLEASE CONTACT DOCTOR ADELEKE AND TELL HIM I GAVE YOU HIS MAIL GOOD LUCK MY CHILDREN FOR MORE DETAILS YOU CAN EMAIL ME INFO.MICHEALWILSON@GMAIL.COM