Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 11- Wake Up Wilmington!

Two weeks ago, today, I was walking across the stage in the Pensacola Civic Center, shaking my principal's hand, and receiving my diploma. This is unreal for me to think about because here I am, nearly eight hundred miles away, riding my bike across the country. When I think about where I am now, sometimes it is hard for me to see the whole picture, like when I am riding my bike. Sometimes I ride with my attention low to make sure the road just ahead of me is clear. When I ride like this, I get restless and bored with riding. It is not until I look up towards the clouds and sky and the road beyond the horizon that I get the true joy out of riding because it is only then that I am getting the whole picture.

The Believe in the Cure Cycling Tour, itself, began as a ride to raise awareness about Hepatitis B and to raise money for finding a cure for Hepatitis B, and so far, it has been quite successful. This ride, for me, was successful as soon as we left Pensacola, but we have come so much further. From being chased by dogs to dead car batteries, muscle cramps to broken rear derailleurs, we have run the gamut of problems one could encounter, but we have pedaled on. This captures what I have felt "Believe in the Cure" truly means. Like I said before, the money raised is going towards the Hepatitis B Foundation's mission on finding a cure for Hepatitis B, but this takes time. (As all things take time.) Will the cure come in my lifetime ? My children's lifetime ? How can one be certain ?

I feel as if "Believe in the Cure" is a misnomer. I feel as if it should be something more along the lines of "Believe in your heart and mind" because that is, for now, the cure to Chronic Hepatitis B, and many other chronic illnesses that plague us. This is the only thing that I can be certain of; that if I am determined enough to wake up and live each day in ways that would "make the mountains glad"; that if I have the strength to make a difference with each moment; that if I believe in my heart and my mind that I am not broken, but healthy and even cured, who will tell me that I am not ? Nothing, now, could tell me otherwise. This is the whole picture. Pedaling on when the air gets thick and the hills get steep, when the temperatures start to rise and your muscles begin to ache. This is what the Believe in the Cure Cycling Tour truly means.

Pedal on.

Love,
John and Jamaal.

6 comments:

Leah Ludwig said...

Well said John. You and Jamaal are an inspiration! Your drive and will is setting an example to all those whom you share your story - remember that when your legs get tired and the heat is too much to bear along your journey. Thank you for giving the Foundation and others living with the hepatitis B virus a voice. You are two amazing young men.

Keep on truckin’! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Leah

the pr lawyer said...

John and Jamaal -

You are amazing young men. We can't wait to greet you in Philadelphia and Doylestown on June 23rd! Just 10 days to go.

Enjoy the ride,

Gina Rubel

AmandaJohnson said...

I'm proud of you guys!! Philly's getting closer every day you speed racers, you. I hope your star wars stickers are keeping you company :)

Bahrtender said...

Jaymall you have such a way with words. John you might need to take some lessons from him. =] Well i love you boys, just keep pedaling on. You're my hero!

KEEP IT UP!!!

Bri Bri

Anonymous said...

John, you truly express such wisdom for being such a young person! The last paragraph in your blog is an eternal truth, and the fact that you recognize this so early in your life is inspiring! Thank you for sharing your deepest thoughts, insights and humor with all of us. I look forward every day to your postings!!! Always, Joan

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

It's me again. I am so proud of you. John, you're writings are an inspiration to us all. I love you and wish you many blessings along this journey.

Keep on biking,
Love , Aunt Nancy