Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day 12- Friday the 13th.

I am usually not too superstitious, at least when it comes to Friday the 13th, but today proved to be unique. Whether or not this is because of Friday the 13th, I guess Jamaal and I will never be sure, but consider the following circumstances.

  • Jamaal and I met a fellow tourer early this morning during our ride. He was touring fully loaded with nearly forty pounds of gear by my eyes' estimate. We rode along with him and chatted with him a bit, discovering he was riding from Miami to Canada because he felt it was "a good way to spend the summer." Now you might say that this isn't odd, it's just absurd, but there is more to the story. Riding behind him, we clocked our speed at around 12-13MPH, slightly slower than the 16-18MPH that Jamaal and I typically cruise at, but we didn't mind the slower pace and the conversation and company he gave. We stopped at a red light, and he informed us that he was going to part ways with us. It was kind of sad, but to each his own, I suppose. Here's the unnerving part. An hour later, after stepping our pace back up, we were rehydrating at the van when we spotted the man on his bike again as he passed by us. Trust me, there is no mistaking this guy. Honestly, how many people are touring at this moment in time, in the same area that we are traveling in ? Weird.
  • Jamaal fell off his bike. Obviously, it wasn't a poltergeist or specter or ghost or anything. He wasn't paying attention and he ran into the back of my tire causing him to fall into the road. Luckily for us, there were no cars coming at the time, but it was the first fall of the trip, and it just so happens that this occurs on Friday the 13th.
  • We almost got hit by a car today. The closest we've come to this scary situation in all of our riding adventures. We rode up to a red light at an intersection and right as we pulled up to the light it turned green, so we pedalled through, but as we were, a truck adjacent to us slowly, but deliberately began shifting over to the shoulder. Luckily, Jamaal and I had enough space to stop and avoid an accident as we watched this car drive over numerous cones on the shoulder and then drive away.
  • To top this all off, our hotel had rooms donated to us in Jacksonville, NC, but for tomorrow night and they had no available rooms for us tonight.

Today was interesting to say the least. It was a fun, short ride, and we were able to meet up with some friends here in Jacksonville. We will be bunking with them tonight, so thank you Ammons family. Tomorrow we ride to Washington, NC, a 70 mile ride.

Sleep well, folks, and take it easy,
John and Jamaal.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John, just wanted to let you know that I wrote a comment to your posting yesterday, so please take a look! I've only just realized how easy it is to respond. Anyhow, I feel like we're all truly riding along with you and Jamaal since your descriptions and insights are so vivid. It is so gratifying to know that this tour is fulfilling your dream! Always, Joan

Anonymous said...

Jamaal, I found my Guitar Hero 3 Disc!

-Alex

Anonymous said...

I miss being part of the pit crew hope you are staying hydrated. I am sooo proud of both of you and look forward to reading the blogs everyday. Wish I were there but I look forward to meeting you in Philly where Jamaal can try a real Philly cheesesteak.
Love you,
Pam

Paul said...

Strange day indeed! I hope Jaamal didn't get too much road rash. Good thing that you guys are on the alert for careless drivers and have fast reflexes. I hope that you guys are catching a little more breeze now that you have made it to the coast. Wishing you blue skys,cool breezes at your back, and smooth roads ahead. Blessings...Paul

P.S.John give your mom ( Hi sumomo ) a big hug and warm fuzzies for me :)

Anonymous said...

Virtual Cycling - Tacx have a great product called the Tacx Fortius, it is basically a turbo trainer connected to a PC so you can ride or race in a virtual environment.
Geoff

Bahrtender said...

i'm glad to hear that it wasn't too bad on this curious day. jaymall glad to hear you're alright, but be the big butt that broke your fall. much love boys!!

KEEP IT UP!!!

Bri Bri

Anonymous said...

You go guys!! Very inspiring! Great at bringing awareness to this disease and raising much needed funds!

Maria & Lee

Anonymous said...

Dude, friday the 13th was the best because it was my birthday! Happy Birthday Jamaal! I was gonna call you today but my old phone didn't transfer all my numbers. But I love you both and hope you are doing well!!

--KPOST