Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Believe In The Cure Cycling Tour

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 16- Happy Birthday Hills !

After two days of little riding at all, we woke up itching to get on the bikes. Jamaal sported his new jersey and his new gloves that my mother and I bought for his birthday. I am not going to lie, I was kind of jealous. He looked very comfortable riding in it and has yet to take it off all day. Before this trip is over, I WILL get a cycling jersey. Anyways...

Today was the most beautiful ride of the trip. I thought South Carolina was beautiful, but Virginia has topped that. We've passed some of the most beautiful farms, and in between, there are large forests that rise up into high ridges and dip into low gullies. The trees don't even stop for ponds, as they grow out of the water like spindly fingers. We had quite a few hills to climb, but our focus was drawn towards our surroundings so we didn't mind the climbs much at all. The shoulder was so large that it was almost like we had an entire lane reserved for us. Jamaal should have had a birthday long before because it seemed like everything went in our favor today.

Jamaal promises me that he has a couple of videos in the works so maybe tomorrow when we make it to D.C., he will get a chance to upload them. Also, Jamaal's mother is flying in to meet us tomorrow, and she will be riding with us the rest of the way. Sorry that there isn't much to say tonight, but I think that could be a good thing. It means things went pretty smoothly. Alright, well, Happy Birthday Jamaal. Hope you had a good day, and I hope everyone else had a wonderful day as well.

Here we come Philly!

John and Jamaal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Jamaal!! So glad to hear it was a great day and that you were dressed so well for the occasion. Wow, you have a great mom if she's willing to ride with you...always, Tim and Joan

cyregray said...

Happy Birthing Jamaal! I'm proud of your moms for riding with y'all for the rest of the trip - there's no way my 'rents could follow suit.

As always maddd props.

Brent K

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jamaal!!! Can't wait for you guys to arrive... it has been so inspirational following your journey through the blog. Me thinks a fabulous writing career may be in your future...

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jamaal (seeing as I am writing this on the 18th)! I can't believe you guys are almost here! Also, I've been meaning to comment to let you guys know that one of the main bike races in Philly happened about a week and a half ago and almost 100 of the approx. 180 riders droped out because of the heat, and you guys keep pushing through it every day. That should make you guys feel tough and awsome!

Anonymous said...

miss me yet?